15.4.12

temporary home

I drive by the "construction site" of our new house as much as possible.
not every day. but at least once a week.
I feel so incredibly grateful that this whole process is coming to an end.
we will soon close the seemingly long chapter of our lives called:
"The Rygiels decide to Move".

Watching the house take shape over the last few weeks,
has actually made me think quite a bit about heaven.
??
no, this home will not in any way resemble a mansion.
...Bare with me here.

I  can tell by the number of trucks in our mud-packed "front yard",
that there is a large crew working to get the house built.
Guys with hard hats lifting lumber through the front door,
banging on the roof to secure shingles,
and meticulously installing glass windows.
Step by step, the house nears completion.
Slowly, over time, the preparations and careful workmanship
of many hands, transform an empty lot into a safe and livable dwelling.

After Jesus had risen victorious from the dead,
right before He was miraculously lifted back up into heaven,...
he gave comfort to his disciples by saying, "I will go and prepare
a place for you."  John 13:3
I will go and PREPARE a place for YOU.
The New living translation says-
"When everything is ready, I will come and get you. 
 So that you will always be with me where I am." John 14:3.
What is he preparing for us?
Paradise. Man, I know heaven is a million times more incredible than ANYTHING here on earth.
I feel so excited about that, and so RELIEVED.

I am happy that we were able to decide on a new place to live.
I am thankful that we have security to live in a home.
I am thankful that both Kent and I have jobs.
I do NOT  take that for granted.
And yet, i am also thankful that this life is only temporary.
There is life after death.
This home on earth will provide shelter, and a place for our family to build memories;
however it doesn't mean everything to me.
I am not consumed by it.

Instead I'm trying to remember that houses are not meant or built to last forever.
They will crumble, grow mold, get cracks, need repairs, have stains,
holes and disintegrate eventually, no matter how old or new they are.
Even Solomon's temple and Jerusalem's walls fell prey to human hands
and earthly elements.
Our heavenly home, on the other hand... will last forever!!
Jesus has gone ahead and prepared a glorious eternal dwelling.
What an incredible and comforting promise.

1 Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God[a]; believe also in me. 2 My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4 You know the way to the place where I am going.” John 13"1-4. (NIV)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...